In order to give the flavors a chance to fully develop, this homemade barbecue sauce is best prepared one or two days in advance.
This flavor-packed BBQ sauce combines the natural sweetness of cherries and maple syrup with the warmth of ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary.
It is a perfect complement to pork dishes – check out our Baby Back Ribs recipe!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes + time to come to pressure
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
2½ cup fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
3 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
1. Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high temperature setting. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
2. Turn Instant Pot off and add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke, if using. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Add lid and lock into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
4. When finished cooking, do a quick release (QR) of the pressure according to the manufacturer’s suggestions before unlocking and removing the lid.
5. Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: For a thicker sauce, return to the Instant Pot and bring to a low boil using the “Sauté” function set to high. Heat, stirring frequently, until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.