Enjoy our Super Bowl dips & treats from our classic Seven Layer Dip to our lovely Pinwheel Appetizers.
Learn to make your very own basic pizza dough, then infuse different batches with assorted spices and herbs to create flavorful and economical pepperoni rolls or breadsticks for dipping.
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
4 tablespoons lime juice
1 small jalapeño pepper (2 for added heat)
4 avocados, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 large mango, peeled, seeded and chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
This is one of the easiest things to make because you simply toss everything into a bowl and using a potato masher, mash it to your preferred consistency. Use a food processor to combine everything for really smooth guacamole. Serve at room temperature.
Feeling a little peckish? No need to run to the nearest Mexican restaurant to enjoy a fulfilling platter of delicious nachos. Oven-baked nachos are super easy to make right at home whether for a couple of people or for a crowd.
Shredded cheddar and jack cheese combo
Diced green peppers
Sliced black olives
1. If you have a KitchenAid mixer, use its food processor attachment to prep your veggies and shred your cheese;
2. Add a layer of chips to an oven-safe pan;
3. Sprinkle with tomatoes, peppers, olives and jalapenos; top with a layer of the shredded cheese;
4. Repeat the process for another layer or two. For large servings:
*increase the cook time and lower the temperature to make sure the chips don’t get burned;
*use a large pan and make no more than 3 layers for quick and even cooking;
5. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or so depending on the size of your nacho plate;
Cook until the cheese starts to bubble and brown slightly;
6. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Spicy Hummus Dip
1 16oz can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon curry powder
4 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sesame tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional for added spicing)
Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. Serve with fresh veggies, pita wedges or crackers.
Simply Divine Seven Layer Dip
2 cans refried beans
3 medium avocados, seeds removed and chopped
1½ cups sour cream mixed with 1 packet taco seasoning mix (or homemade below)
3 bunches chopped green onions, green parts only
3 medium diced tomatoes, seeds and juicy pulp removed
2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
1 8oz can black olives, drained and sliced
Add ingredients in distinct layers, starting with the refried beans and continue down the list. Serve with your favourite tortilla chips.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
If you have a couple of minutes to spare, this recipe allows you to make a healthier mix with less salt and no artificial additives or preservatives compared to pre-packaged taco seasoning and costs less!
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons garlic powder
5 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to combine. Use 2-3 tablespoons per pound of ground beef (more or less according to your preferences).
2. Make a larger batch and store unused amounts in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Ham and Pickle Pinwheel Appetizers
1 package ham lunch meat
1 jar dill pickles
1 8oz container whipped cream cheese
1. Lay a piece of ham on a plate and spread the softened cream cheese in a thin layer over the ham. Place a pickle at one end of the meat and cheese slice. Roll this up like you would a jelly roll. Cut into 1/2-inch slices and place them on a serving dish.
2. You can easily vary this simple appetizer by adding diced olives or pimento to the cream cheese, or by using different seasonings for extra punch. They can also easily be themed by mixing food colouring into the cream cheese for a holiday party – how about matching your favourite football team’s colours…!
1 cup walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
A dash ground red pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat add the sugar, water, cinnamon and ground pepper. Place a candy thermometer in the pan and allow the ingredients to melt. DO NOT STIR until it reaches 238 degrees. This will take about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the walnuts.
3. Lightly spray the cooled baking sheet with non-stick spray. Spoon the walnut mixture onto it. After the walnut mix has cooled you can serve whole or crush them into small pieces and place in a serving dish.
Easy Basic Pizza Dough
This versatile dough recipe can be used for pizza, pepperoni rolls or breadsticks for dipping.
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoons brown sugar
1½ cups very warm water (110˚F)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1. Add warm water, then yeast and brown sugar to large bowl. Let sit for 10-12 minutes.
2. Add salt and oil to the bowl, then slowly mix in 2½ cups of flour while stirring constantly with a fork.
3. Empty dough onto a well-floured surface and knead in more flour until it no longer sticks to your hands.
4. Shape dough into a ball; transfer to a clean bowl sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover bowl with a towel and let sit for approximately one hour in a warm place.
5. While dough is rising, preheat the oven to 425°.
6. Once your dough has doubled in size, punch it down with your first and reshape into a ball. After a couple of minutes, roll the dough out on a clean, well-floured surface. Place rolled out dough on a pizza pan or stone and brush edges with olive oil.
7. Top dough with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese and crust are a nice golden brown.