Super Bowl party desserts provide a welcome final touch to a long stretch of strategizing, opinionating, encouraging, criticizing and vocalizing which does take its toll. And after all the chili, guacamole, sliders, coleslaw – not to mention a few beers -, it’s time to satisfy the sweet tooth with some simple desserts accompanied perhaps by a cocktail or a little punch…
1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, stirring occasionally or melt over a double boiler. Set aside to cool.
3. In a separate medium-size bowl, beat egg whites to a soft peak. Add vanilla and slowly add the sugar. Continue to beat until thick.
4. Fold in coconut and melted chocolate.
5. Using a teaspoon for small macaroons or tablespoon for large macaroons, drop one spoonful of batter onto baking sheet for each cookie.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
No-Fuss Rocky Road Brownies
1 family-size box of Betty Crocker Supremes brownie mix
ALL INGREDIENTS LISTED ON BROWNIE MIX BOX
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Prepare brownies according to package directions.
2. When brownies are done, evenly sprinkle marshmallows, chocolate chips and nuts over the top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Allow brownies to cool completely before serving.
But let’s be honest, a great game day needs to end with panache (specially if your team wins), and that means a special Super Bowl cake. Here are two cake recipes that are sure to go down a treat!
Broiled Angel Food Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream & Berries
1 angel food cake (store bought, from a mix or homemade)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
1 container blueberries
1 high-quality dark chocolate bar (optional)
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. Cut angel food cake into evenly sized slices – not into wedges as they will not brown evenly under the broiler.
2. Using a pastry brush, coat both sides of angel food cake slices with melted butter.
3. Place on a metal baking sheet and place under broiler. Toast until golden brown making sure you watch carefully, as this will happen quickly. Remove from oven and turn slices to toast the other side. Remove from oven.
4. In a glass mixing bowl, mix heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract with electric mixer.
5. Beat until soft peaks form.
6. To serve, top two slices of toasted angel food cake with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries. Top with shaved dark chocolate and add a sprig of fresh mint.
2 cups granulated sugar
1½ cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut
3 cups grated carrots (about 1 pound)
1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, then lightly flour the pans.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine granulated sugar, oil, eggs, baking soda, flour, cinnamon, salt, coconut, carrots, and walnuts, blending 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until a smooth, thick batter forms. DO NOT OVER-MIX! Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
3. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are golden. Let cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, combine cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and and mix well using an electric mixer. Add vanilla and mix well. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, continuing to mix until well combined.
5. Place one cake layer on a serving platter and frost top of cake. Place second layer on top of frosted layer. Frost top and sides of entire cake. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.