If your family is into pasta, why not surprise them with freshly homemade Halloween spaghetti – with a twist? How about adding a couple of oozing eyeballs to each plate. If nothing else, they’ll learn to give you a little ‘rispetto’ around creepy holidays. 😉
But kidding apart, wouldn’t that make a delightful Halloween dinner and break the monotony while infusing a little holiday humor into an otherwise pretty gloomy time of the year? Let’s get started, shall we?
2 pounds ground beef*
6-ounce box packaged stuffing mix for chicken
1 cup water
1 jar spaghetti sauce (1/4 cup for meat, remainder for the noodles)
4 sticks string cheese cut into quarters
Large black olives sliced in half (allow a slice for each eyeball)
Homemade spaghetti pasta or a 1-lb pound package store bought
*Feel free to substitute ground turkey, pork or a combination of meats
If you are making pasta from scratch or grinding your own meat, you need to have those ingredients ready ahead of time.
As some of you already know, the spaghetti cutter from the KitchenAid spaghetti attachment can help you make pasta from scratch in no time at all. If you don’t already own a KitchenAid mixer, just use a hand cranked pasta maker or simply buy your pasta. And while you’re at it, you can buy a jar or two of spaghetti sauce. Just make sure you set about a quarter cup aside for your meat.
Oozing Eyeballs Meatballs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. While the oven is heating, mix together the meat, stuffing mix, water, eggs and 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce. Make sure the mixture is well-combined.
3. Divide your meat mixture evenly into 16 portions and roll 16 two-inch meatballs.
4. Now for the oozing effect. Push one piece of string cheese into the top of the meatball, but just don’t disappear it entirely into the meatball. The cheese will create the oozing part of these otherwise yummy eyeballs. Push the cheese in just enough to anchor it.
5. Place the meatballs onto your baking sheet and then center a slice of olive onto the cheese. Et voilà – you have now created disgusting ‘oozing eyeballs’!
6. Bake the meatballs for up to 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. While the meatballs are cooking, put the pasta to boil according to the package directions or cook your fresh spaghetti until al dente, remembering to add plenty of salt to your water.
2. Heat the remainder of the spaghetti sauce.
3. Drain your pasta. Place a serving of pasta on each plate and top with the heated sauce.
4. And now for the fun part: the finishing touches. Center two oozing meatballs on top of the noodles and serve.
All your family is expecting is a plate of regular spaghetti. But this is no ordinary dinner! Who wouldn’t enjoy a delicious meal with a twist during Halloween week? Specially when it involves spooky spaghetti with meatballs staring at you.
Unexpected, out of the box – but totally delightful! Making spaghetti noodles with oozing eyeballs doesn’t have to take a lot of time but presents a fun alternative to your usual pasta dinner.Follow Us!